September 04, 2008

Stranger Danger for Senior Citizens

It was my worst nightmare. Having finished breakfast, my 78 year old father says, “Wait till you hear this one…” I immediately braced myself, as I usually do upon hearing those words. Dad will often wait “awhile” before telling me about the BAD things that happen to him. This was no exception.

Gritting my teeth and holding onto my chair, I welcomed his story. He continued to tell me that about a week ago there was a knock at his door. When he opened the door, he was greeted by a young man who said he was the neighbor’s son. Or at least that is what dad understood amidst the commotion his dog was making to ward off the intruder.

Dad had been looking forward to meeting his new neighbor’s son, and was happy to meet him. The young man said his wife had been in an accident and that he needed $8.00. Happy to oblige, dad pulled out a $20 and handed it to the man. Then, the man asked dad for a ride downtown. Dad said he was waiting for an important phone call from a car dealer, as he was in the process of negotiating the purchase of a new pick up truck. At that, the young man stepped inside and said he would wait.

Once inside, the young man asked dad for a glass of water. So, dad being hospitable offers the man a beer! Once he had finished the beer, the young man asked for another beer. Dad obliged. By now, the man had ranted on and on about his life and troubles and dad said he realized what he had done. Eager to get the stranger out of the house, dad decided to forget about the phone call and told the man he’d give him that ride he had asked for.

I asked dad where he took the man. He said he dropped him off downtown by the train station. Yikes! That’s where all the derelicts hang out. I was so upset, but grateful that dad was okay. This could have ended very badly, and it could happen to anyone let alone an aging parent.

No comments: