September 06, 2008

Beware of Sales Reps Posing as D.A.R.E . Volunteers

Yesterday I went to my local drug store to pick up a prescription for my daughter.  On the way out, a young man asked me to help out D.A.R.E.  He said that the charity was in danger of folding due to lack of funds.  Glad to help a good cause that helps children, I gave him a $20 bill.  As he reached for his receipt book, he told me that I owed $1.78 sales tax.  Surprised, I asked him since when is sales tax charged on donations.  He smoothly responded, "Because it is considered a "merchandise exchange".   I received a T-Shirt and a cheesy children's book for my $20 "donation".  I had no use for either item, and planned to give it to Goodwill.

My prescription would take over an hour to fill, so I decided to get a bite to eat.  As I was finishing my lunch, the young man and woman manning the D.A.R.E. table walked in.  I was struck by the suit and tie the young man was sporting, especially in 100 degree weather.  More eye opening was the designer handbag the young woman had on her arm.  

When I arrived home, I went to file the receipt.  That is when I notice something was wrong.  The receipt did not have D.A.R.E. nor the words "Donation" or "Charity" as is customary on a charitable organization's receipt.  In fact, the receipt read: Redline Marketing Company.  I quickly flipped the receipt over and read the back.  To my shock and horror, the opening line read: "5% of the amount of your purchase will be remitted to DARE."  What?!!!  I gave them $20 thinking that D.A.R.E. would receive $20.  5% of $20 is just $1!  

The receipt went on to say that the people I made my "purchase" from were not D.A.R.E. volunteers, but paid sales employees of the company listed on the front of the receipt!  I immediately called the 800 number for D.A.R.E.  The young woman who answered the phone must have been like a deer caught in the headlights as she did not say much.  She told me that she was new and that there were no supervisors present.  She then told me to go online to LogisticAdvertisingInc.com and that I would have to figure out how to get my refund myself as she did not know how to help me.

Frustrated, I hung up and noticed a number on the front of the receipt below Redline Marketing Company.  I called that number and another young woman answered saying she was with yet another marketing company called Paradym Marketing, or something to that effect.  So, now I am up to 3 marketing companies involved in some kind of a pyramid scheme with D.A.R.E.  The young woman told me to return to the table the next day and I could demand my refund.

So, today I went marching up to the table.  As I arrived, there were 5 high school students talking to the young man who misrepresented himself to me the day before.  He was counting a huge wad of cash and appeared to be giving one of the young men a refund.  I asked that high school student if they had been ripped off too.  He said that they were making a "donation".  I told him that D.A.R.E. would only get 5% of his "donation"  and that the two men were in fact paid salesmen.  

As he turned to walk away with his group of friends, the high school student yelled out something that one of the salesmen understood like they were friends or somehow knew each other.   Not knowing what they meant or how they were involved, I demanded my refund. 

 I told the 2 young men there that they had misrepresented themselves to me.  They smoothly said they were very sorry that I felt that way.  I told them that as far as I was concerned, they were committing fraud.  They began to argue with me, when I told them I was not going to argue with them and to just give me back the $22 I gave them the day before.  The young man from the day before handed my the $22 and I left.

I entered the drug store and informed the manager of the fraud being perpetrated on his customers.  He was very disturbed and thought that the "volunteers" were over dressed.  He told me that his hands were tied.  He did not authorize them to be there.  Apparently, they got permission (or maybe they did not) from the landlord.

I contacted 7 On Your Side, a consumer alert group.  I do intend to talk to some one higher up in D.A.R.E. on Monday.  This type of practice only gives D.A.R.E. a big black eye.

No comments: