July 29, 2008

Time to Change Doctors

When we went to see dad's general practitioner, I was not impressed. The doctor really seemed to view my father as just another number rather than a human being in need of healing. I told my father that he deserved much better. Even he admitted that his doctor had not done anything to help him feel better over the previous 2 years.

My dad has high blood pressure. Hypertension is common in elderly men and women alike. The problem , however, is compounded when you have a tumor the size of a golf ball on your pituitary gland. So, dad's blood pressure would be under control for a while, then it would get crazy out of whack with absolutely no warning whatsoever. I'm talking 220 over 110!

Well, this doctor that I was not impressed with, gave my dad a new blood pressure medication, sent him home and told him to come back in a month. Well, 24 hours later, dad was in the Emergency Room with his blood pressure soaring sky high. The doctors at the E.R. said they had notified dad's doctor and that he was going to stop by to see dad. He was a no show. I actually thought he'd give dad a call at home to check on him. Not!

They were about to release dad, so my sister took her crabby 3 year old son home for a nap and I was to transport dad back home. In order to take him home, the E.R. doctor ordered a pill to get rid of dad's nausea. That's when all hell broke loose. Turns out dad was allergic to that particular drug. He began to vomit non-stop. He was so delirious, he couldn't even talk. His eyes were crossed. I thought he was going to die right then and there. I screamed for a nurse to come quick when he began to have the reaction. There was no call button on his bed. If I had not been there, he probably would have died.

When the nurse ran in, she scolded me saying that I had over reacted. Then, when she looked at my father's sudden deterioration, she had to eat her words. They countered the drug with yet another drug. Thank God, it worked! So, dad spent the night in the hospital. He got a kick out of all the yummy food they brought to him.:{

No comments: